New arrivals and failure to notify UK tax liability

14 February 2012 |

Until 1 June 2010, foreign nationals or returning UK nationals were required to file a form (P86) informing HMRC of their arrival in the UK and, among other things, their intention with regard to the duration of their stay here.

This is no longer a requirement so new arrivals to the UK may remain unknown to HMRC who may have no knowledge of them or their liability to UK taxation. Consequently, HMRC will not issue a tax return to individuals in such a position.

However, non–receipt of a tax return form does not remove the requirement to file one. Indeed, it should be noted that taxpayers are required to give notice to HMRC of their liability to income tax by 5 October following the end of the tax year and failure to do so will result in penalties being sought by HMRC.

The maximum penalty is the amount of tax due and unpaid at 31 January following the tax year to which the liability relates. This means that even if notification is made after the six-month time limit (after 6 October) the penalty can be eliminated if the taxpayer pays the full amount of the tax due on or before 31 January.

If you have employees who arrived in the UK between 6 April 2010 and 5 April 2011 but have not informed HMRC of their presence here, they should ensure that any tax they owe for their year of arrival is paid over as soon as possible.

If you require any assistance or have any questions, please contact John Mooney on +44 (0) 20 7036 8391 or Bina Gayadien on +44 (0) 20 7036 8383.


Content is for general information purposes only. The information provided is not intended to be comprehensive and it does not constitute or contain legal or other advice. If you require assistance in relation to any issue please seek specific advice relevant to your particular circumstances. In particular, no responsibility shall be accepted by the authors or by Abbiss Cadres LLP for any losses occasioned by reliance on any content appearing on or accessible from this article. For further legal information click here.

Related content

13 June 2024
How to apply for certificate of residence in the UK
Where an individual is resident in the UK and has…
29 May 2024
UK Share Plan Reporting 2024: Everything you need to know
The deadline is approaching for the HMRC’s annual return filings…
20 May 2024
Employee Share Plan Reporting 2024: Alerting Your Clients
The UK tax authorities’ (HMRC) submission deadline for annual return…
Subscribe to our newsletter
Stay up to the minute on our latest news and insights?
International reach

We have helped clients meet their HR needs in over 70 countries across five continents.